Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Introductions and the like

Hellooo cyberspace! We're five first years who are here to answer all your questions and squash all your fears about university! It's our first time being first years: being away from home, studying at varsity, having to be independent and many other things. We're all different, but I guarantee you'll find something in one of us that you can identify with! Let me introduce you to the team... I'll let them say their bit:

maryjane:
My weed and Aladdin pants are my prize possessions. As much of a dope head as I am, I’m a very wise soul. If I’m not in the botanical gardens, you’re most likely to find me at ‘Cow Moon Theory’. I’m sometimes in my room trying to decide whether or not to go to a lecture if I’m sober enough. However, my friends are always there, even though the buggers claim to hate the smell of weed in my room. Give me make-up and I don’t know what to do with it. Besides all of that I spend most of my day thinking. My favourite subject is Philosophy (the only lecture I go to, really).

Meat_is_murder:
I’m not the stereotypical Rhodent. I don’t drink, I’ve never smoked a cigarette in my life and I don’t do drugs. I’m an animal rights activist who doesn’t even have to swipe her Dallas chip in the dining hall most of the time: the caterers know I’ve booked a vegetarian meal. Meat is murder. Full stop. I recycle and I’ll walk to the shop instead of sending a bunch of carbon emissions up into the atmosphere by driving my car. I’m the girl in your English lecture in the organic cotton T-shirt that says “Fish are friends, not food”. On the weekends, I’m the sober babysitter who quietly sips Crème Soda at pre-drinks and ends up holding her friend’s hair back while they get sick in a gutter after downing a bottle of cane.

Readingrocks:
I am serious about my work: I’m always stressing about assignments, tests and deadlines. I didn’t come to Rhodes to party and stay out all night – I don’t like the night life in Grahamstown. My favourite hang-out spot is the library. I never miss a single lecture and disappointing my parents is the last thing I want to do, as I am studying on a scholarship.

Captain Morgan:
Freedom! University is a unique time in anyone’s life. The discipline and structure of school days is out and the fun is in. We are only young once and have to make sure that we enjoy every single moment of it! Life is too short and sometimes too difficult to miss any opportunity for a good time, so bring on the beers and in the words of Mark Twain let’s “dream, explore and discover” because that’s what university is all about.

Dazed&Confused:
I have no idea why I’m here or what I want to study. Everything is confusing, even my own identity! I constantly stress about the choices and challenges which come with university. Coming here completely threw me off course because I was so sure about life before, now there are too many options!

Well, that's us in a nutshell. For more info, check out our respective profiles. And check back here often for new posts!

<3 Meat_is_murder

1 comment:

Sunny South African said...

Wow! Where did you guys meet? you are all so different!

Welcome to cyberspace!