Thursday, September 25, 2008

Letter to myself

Hey all. I wrote a letter to my past self to just give her(me) and like minded people some advice on how to handle the change of going to university, excuse all the emotion, but I'm an emotionally confused person.

Dear Little Miss Sunshine (me a year ago)

You must be the happiest person I know. Your young, your finishing school, you have a boyfriend and you have just been accepted to Rhodes University. Your starting something new, and I know how much you love change and all the new and exciting experiences that come with it. University, however, is not the exciting change you thought it would be. Change will become your enemy and you will be lost in a new world where you don´t necessarily know where your going or what you want. You will change from head strong and happy to dazed and confused. The change from High School to University is anti-climatic and distressing; which was my biggest problem as I was eager and not ready for the challenges that came with this change of lifestyle.

After school everybody goes their separate ways and begins the journey towards the future that school was trying to prepare us for, but we are not prepared. The only way that you will ever be prepared for university is through experience. Through this experience I have gone through a process, a process of not only change of surroundings and education but change of mind and outlook. University opens doors to all different kinds of ideologies and experiences which had never even been brought to your attention before and this is when you start changing your mind because you realise you´v picked the wrong university or subjects or residence or everything is just not what you want.

Now you are stuck. My advice to you, would be to open your mind from the get go. Leave your passed schooling years as exactly what they are: the past. Be careful of your sensitive nature as the adjustment is an emotional roller-coaster of changing emotions and your heart will become so much more fragile. See change for what it really is, embrace it and try something new so that you are already ahead of the challenges which university present. Good luck Sunshine!

Yours sincerely
Dazed and Confused

1 comment:

Chwayitisa said...

Hi there Dazed and Confused

I write this to inform you that you are not the only person who felt as you did when you first entered the hectic world of varsity.

In fact, after reading your letter I can honestly say that I could not have written it better myself.

It is so incredible that I myself felt on top of the world when I first came to varsity. I thought I had the situation under wraps, I mean after all the advice from family and friends, one can be forgiven for believing that they attended varsity in their past life.

I always thought that varsity was the place that this moth would break free of the overprotective cocoon called parents, and fly like a butterfly. So you can only imagine the shock and trauma when I realised that this place has been designed to break you and leave you dazed and confused with no place to turn.

Thank you for articulating my own feelings so well.

Regards
General Futch