Sunday, September 28, 2008

A letter to Spliff

Hey young Spliff

Missing you dude. Simplicity and “just cruising” are rather difficult to come by in this place filled with mostly idiots amongst fools. I know, I also thought that varsity would be filled with intellectuals. Surprisingly, I’ve met many a six year old in this place. I no longer have that person I totally click with and am comfortable with.


So anyway, I’m chilling, and then I get a call from you all excited about being accepted into Rhodes. Knowing what socialites we’ve always been, I’m suddenly overcome with panic (ok, not panic, you just woke me up) as those words of oblivion crash into my ears. I feel compelled to educate an oblivious and somewhat ignorant mind.


Sure this place is one big party, but revisiting your reasons for coming here is a wise move my sister. As independent as you are, you will miss home. As sure as you are, you will question your being at this varsity. As grounded as you are, you will lose yourself – at least some of you.


If who you are now is who you truly are, you will remain the same. You will still blaze all day and be the admirable person you are, but this will only happen through some change. In this place the independence of your mind is your greatest weapon. Use it wisely, don’t let your social life happen to you – that’s how you lose yourself, you must happen to it.

So ask yourself, do you really want to come to Rhodes? Is your varsity choice about what you want? Basing your life, actions, opinions etc on anything that isn’t you is highly dangerous because those things or people will let you down easier than you would yourself.

Mad love
Mary Jane

1 comment:

Freend said...

Hey Mary Jane,
I know just what you mean about the lack of intellectuals. I mean, perhaps a few years ago you watched a film like "A Beautiful Mind", and even then you pictured yourself amongst such brainy and somewhat socially slacking minds who you just know are going to be successes.
But what you must know is that we are intellectuals, we may just have a much better balance between work and play than those wise dudes in A Beautiful Mind.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I digged reading your blog, and I definitely rate you got some wise words of advice for your younger self. Wishes I had someone say that to me before I started too.. Haha.

Alritey, see you around & stay well.

Freend from VarsityCompass101
(http://varsitycompass101.blogspot.com/)